Home Forums Usage How can I run EM simulation from Matlab/Octave?

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    EnkiEnki
    Keymaster

Hello,

In my project I want to run the netlist of a pcb layout simulation from Matlab/Octave. Is there a way to do it?

For now, I am able to generate and simulate sch netlist from matlab without any issue. However, the netlist format for pcb layout and EM simulations seems to be different. Can I use Qucssim.exe for that or qucsfdtd.exe? How?

Anyhelp is more than welcome. Once I got it running I’ll post the code for the benefit of the QucsStudio community.

Thanks!

• This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by EnkiEnki.
      CarstenCarsten
      Participant

Hi,

did you solve the problem in the meanwhile?

I’m unfamiliar with the qs em simulation. It could help, if you setup a very minimalistic example that shows your problem. You can package the qs project with Project -> create package and upload the file here.

EnkiEnki
        Keymaster

Hi Carsten,

I wanted to try the QucsStudio EM capabilites with a simple design: end-coupled half-wavelength bandpass filter. One of the task I want to perform for the filter design is to model the gaps between the resonators to calculate their length and link it to the lowpass prototype.

How? 

I created a simple pcb layout with two copper strips and a gap separating both of them. After that, I need to change the gap width, take the s-parameters from the simulation, extract the capacitor pi-model and create a table that relates the lowpass admittance inverters with the EM simulation.

I also need to do a de-embbeding for a more accurate modelling.

By been able to manipulate the layout and run the EM simulation I could automate the process with a matlab/octave script.

What did I get?

I got it with the .sch and TL components but I want a more accurate simulations with the EM option.

What I can’t do?

• De-embedding
          • Run the netlist file from a pcb layout using a Matlab/octave script

I’ve included the project with the schematic and layout. You can generate the netlist from both and see they have different formats. When I try to launch a simulation with qucssim.exe it does not work. I believe I could do it by calling qucsfdtd.exe but I don’t know how. I guess that the right person to answer that is Michael Margraf.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.