Home Forums Development Impedance and admitance components / Twoport by definition

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    pu5frs
    Participant

Hi,

Some small things that could be very useful for fundamental studies:

1. There is no component to define impedances (Z=R+jX) or admitances (Y=G+jB). It is possible to use a 1-port when Z or Y is  referred to ground. That’s because the Qucstudio One-port has 1 pole connected to ground internally (see the figure below).   For a shunt immitance in shunt connection with one terminal at GND, that’s ok.
      2. When we need a series immitance, a one-port cannot be used. It is possible to use a two-port, sometimes.  Here again, the ports are referred to ground. It can be troublesome if it is in the middle of a circuit, since by definition, a two-port must have the same current flowing into  and out of  the poles of a port.  If one is grounded, so, there is a potential problem.
      3. So, I suggest to add components for defining floating Z an Y as well as to add  n-port component  with the two poles for each port available (As illustrated in the figure).

thanks

PU5FRS

QucsStudio
      Keymaster

I think, this is very seldom needed and using an ideal transformer should work, too.

pu5frs
        Participant

In fact, it is not very rare to have such a situation. Below I give  an example with a very basic circuit.

It is also very common to have similar situations using  models of passive devices in matching networks for differential circuits, for instance.

4pole

Jan
          Participant

Hi,

I support pu5frs idea. In ADS it is also possible and differential components e.g. inductors, are very common.

Best regards,

Jan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.