Home Forums Bug Reports Impedance Smith Chart Plotting Error

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jess_Stuart
    Participant

I created a simple Qucs schematic to illustrate this problem.   I am using a voltage controlled dependent current source to drive a transmission line and load resistance.  The idea is to drive the transmission line and load with a 1 Amp current, then plot the impedance (voltage when I=1A) on a Smith Chart.  However, when I use the formula Gamma = (ZL-Z0)/(ZL+Z0)  the smith chart plots the reflection coefficient outside of the unit circle.  When I plot the formula for 1/Gamma = (ZL+Z0)/(ZL-Z0)  the plot looks correct.  This is just a problem with using the dependent sources; Driving the load with a swept-frequency AC current source does not exhibit this problem.

I need to compare the frequency If several slightly different circuits, and to do that, I need to use dependent current sources that are all controlled by the same swept-frequency voltage source.

I have a workaround (by plotting 1/Gamma) and am not stuck at the moment, but I feel this is a bug that needs fixing.

I am using QucsStudio version 3.3.2 on Windows 10, 64-bit.

• This topic was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Jess_Stuart.
    • This topic was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Jess_Stuart.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    QucsStudio
    Keymaster

The input current has the wrong polarity! It doesn’t flow into the transmission line,

because the arrow at the input of the voltage-controlled current source points upwards

and therefore, gets a negative voltage.

You can either flip the voltage source, set the voltage to -1V or the transconductance to -1S.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.