Home Forums Usage How to use ‘frequency’ as a parameter in an equation block

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    oagu5785
    Participant

Dear all,

I took a lumped inductor model from Coilcraft’s website. This lumped model has some parameters that depend on frequency. Please check the attachment for details.

I want to extract the S11 parameter from this model between 1MHz and 5GHz. Because the lumped model has some components that their value is frequency dependent I would need that while the S-Param simulation is being taken, the value of some lumped component should also be updated according to the frequency.

My issue is that the “frequency” parameter (that appears in the S-Param simulator box) does not seem to be used to take the frequency value for the lumped model.

What would it be the way to consider the “frequency” in the equations ?

Thanks for your help.

Oriol

Enki
      Keymaster

Hi,

Try ‘lossy_inductor.sch’ from the Simulation_AC example project.  I ran it myself and it works but I can not make it run in your schematic.

I hope it helps

Carsten
        Participant

Something interesting about the lossy_inductor.sch:
          One can use the variable ‘freq’, which seems to be defined by QS itself.  But only, if the equation block has Export=no and if the resulting parameter is used in a “equation based component in frequency domain”
          Sadly I cannot find a reference to this ‘freq’ variable in the QS F1 help .

You could define all components in the coilcraft model by a separate “equation based component in frequency domain”. Writing down the e.g. z parameters of a capacitor/inductor/resistor should be easy. But maybe its problematic in case you want to use the resulting inductor model without ground connection on either side.

Coilcraft also offers touchstone file models. Maybe that’s an option.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Carsten.
        Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.