Home Forums Usage Phase shifter

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    gautier
    Participant

Hi,

I want to use a phase shifter in a simulation so I design a simple drawing in order to verify the behaviour of the phase shifter.

the drawing is an ac source and a phase shifter. it is very simple but after simulation there is no signal et the output of the phase shifter.

I joint a screen capture

Thanks for your replies

Attachments:
      Carsten
      Participant

it does the right thing in an AC simulation

I would guess, that it is not processed in a transient simulation, because an ideal shifter would not make sense here. But I would expect an error message in this case.

AC-Simulation: 90° phase shifter transforms Open condition on the right side to a short on the left side. thats why there should be voltage=0 at Pr1

gautier
        Participant

I don’t understand why a transient simulation doesn’t work. Normally after the time response of the system
          we can see the steady state of the system in this case the input ( signal sinusoidal) and the same signal sinusoidal with a phase shift like in the real world.

Carsten
          Participant

Mmmh. My idea is that the solver cannot calculate the transient response. I assume, the solver works by calculating every time step after another based on the source signals and current currents/voltages.

Positive (or negative, not sure about the definition) phase shifts would be impossible, as the solver would need to predict the future.

What would be the response of a step function? The solver would need to transform the input into frequency domain, apply the phase shift and transform it back to time domain. My guess is that this does not comply with the time-step-by-time-step simulation procedure

Carsten
            Participant

I found a paper for you here

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/230914367_A_versatile_phase_shifter_for_NMR_experiments_and_other_applications

Abstract: It is impossible to construct an ideal phase shifter, one whose phase shift
              and gain is independent of frequency, using a linear circuit……

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.