Home Forums Development Behavior of InitialDC in Transient Simulation inconsistent with explicit IC

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    drahnoel
    Participant

I am looking at transient simulations with initialDC=yes. This setting enables calculation of initial conditions based on an implicit DC simulation. However, I find the treatment of explicit initial conditions inconsistent. Currently, explicit conditions are not considered during the initial DC simulation, but then overrule the implicitly derived ones. See attachment.

I propose two more consistent approaches:

Proposal A:

With initialDC=yes, explicit initial conditions are always ignored and overruled by the implicit ones derived from the DC solution.

Proposal B:

With initialDC=yes, explicit initial conditions are respected during the initial DC simulation. Capacitors with explicit conditions are replaced with voltage sources, coils replaced with current sources.

QucsStudio
      Keymaster

Even though your thoughts make sense, I don’t think that the current behavior is inconsistent. Proposal A is not bad, but I still find the current solution the best one.

drahnoel
        Participant

Ok.

There are some components, where one needs to use initialDC=yes, because they have no initial conditions fields. Example: Diode. (With initial DC=0, they always start with 0V at t=0)

However, I want to have different initial conditions as initialDC=yes calculates. So, what I do is to force the voltages to the desired initial conditions using a voltage source. To make the voltage source not affect transient simulation, I add a 1H inductance in series. This way I emulate the InitCond element of ADS.

This is the workaround I am successfully using at the moment.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.