Home Forums Development Linux support

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    sm6vfz
    Participant

Hi, I heard about QucsStudio and got really excited. Unfortunately the excitement turned into disappointment when I realised that the program is Windows only. Why is that? QT is a cross-platform library so I don’t think there should be any problem realising it also for Linux et al.?

Domduke
      Participant

Hello,

you can use Qucsstudio under Unbuntu or Kubuntu by using Wine.

Domduke
        Participant

…but, there appears to be a problem with the EM field simulator and  the use of microstrip (cf Simulation_EM_field.qucs)

sm6vfz
          Participant

Ok, thank you, I will try that.

But I still doesn’t understand why there is no native linux support.

Domduke
            Participant

I made a small mistake. It is with the circuit simulator that it doesn’t work when using transmission lines.

QucsStudio
              Keymaster

The error is strange, because msvcp100.dll comes with the QucsStudio package.

Are you sure that the original ones are used? Or are there other versions installed in C:/Windows/system32 or similar? Have you told Wine to use “native and buildin libs”?

Domduke
                Participant

I tried all the wine configuration options with the same negative result.
                  Today there was an update of wine. The version of the dll in the Qucsstudio package is 2011_06, the version of wine 2019_11.I tried using the 2011 dll in the Qucsstudio and system 32 folder and then with the 2019 dll in both folders. In any case, whatever the configuration option of wine, it doesn’t work. The error message is always the same:

Starting “Notch_Filter.sch” on Wed. 11. Nov. 2020 at 18:22:27

creating netlist… done.
                  analysing circuit… done.
                  solving circuit… Unhandled exception: unimplemented function msvcp100.dll._Sinh called in 32-bit code (0x7b00ddff).

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Domduke.
                  QucsStudio
                  Keymaster

How big is the interest in a Linux version?
                    Are there a few people who are willing to donate for it?

sm6vfz
                    Participant

Well, donations for software is not something I normally engage in. Most of my RF electronics designs goes into public domain (published on the web and/or a magazine) and there is not really any donations to me for that…

But I guess QucsStudio was not developed to make you rich?

When it comes to my original question about Linux support I more or less assumed that the project was open source, but I have later learnt that you do not like that philosophy(?)

QucsStudio
                      Keymaster

It’s not really true, that I don’t like the philosophy of open source projects. But I had to learn in many years that it simply doesn’t work. Anyway, I’ve battled for a long time to keep QucsStudio alive, but struggled in vain for support of the users.

And, yes, QucsStudio will never make me rich!

sm6vfz
                        Participant

Somewhat OT but I just read this depressing news about a formerly open-source project and thought about what you wrote in another thread: http://wiringpi.com/wiringpi-deprecated/

I think that if one publishes an open-source project one has to draw some very clear lines about the support and instead encourage other people to dig into it if they want additional features or such.
                          In my experience tools like Git can help a lot. It makes it easy for everybody to add features, test them, and generate a pull request for the maintainer to add the new code into the main branch. And if the maintainer loses interest it is still possible for others to create new branches and develop the project further.

btorrem
                          Participant

Thanks for the information !
                            Configured wine to use the native msvcp100.dll and QucsStudio (2.5.7) is running on Debian-Sid

btorrem
                            Participant

Also OK with QucsStudio 3.3.2

This is excellent !

Will continue some testing and report back

Domduke
                              Participant

I think Murphy is picking on me… I tried this wine configuration again without success.
                                My computer is on Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS

GS99
                                Participant

What’s the point keeping the project sources closed. You could at least publish them but keep developing on your own. Open source does not work because of behavior like this. You receive donations I get that but there is no information how these donations are used. You should make it commercial or keep it open. Is there any source left from the original Qucs project? If so do all original authors agree with this project?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.